Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Lemony Snicket



I am working on this big project at work, and there are 15 of us who are trapped in a room all day glued to our laptops, running around helping each other and trying not to let the rest of the company into out little haven.

One of the women has been baking any type of cookie she could think of and bringing in plates and plates of them to these sessions. She is fabulous, but the team was looking for a change. One of the other ladies in the group starting buying grocery-store cakes and bringing them in - thanks, but not for my palate.


So I decided it was time to being in one of my lemon cakes. Depending on who I have made this for, it has been referred to as my Lemon Coffee Cake, my Lemon Pound Cake, or my Lemony Goodness (scary name, I know). This cake is really very easy and uses a boxed cake mix (not something I will do on a regular basis) and a box of flavored Jell-O. Its quick and easy and ever morsel is to die for. This cake is always a huge hit - I have even made it with Orange, Lime, Strawberry or Raspberry.

Lemon Cake
Yields 16 servings
Preparation Time: 5.00 Minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 30.00 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30.00 Minutes

Chef's Note: If you have it available, use 1 teaspoon of lemon oil and then reduce your amount of water by 1 teaspoon.

18 1/4 Ounce(wt)s cake mix, white
4 Large egg, whole at room temperature
3 Ounce(wt)s jello, lemon, 3-oz box
1 Teaspoon extract, lemon
3/4 Cup oil, vegetable
3/4 Cup water, cold
1 Large lemon, zested

Glaze:
1 Cup sugar, powdered
3 Tablespoons juice, lemon


Mix together the cake mix, eggs, jello, extract, oil, zest and water and beat for 5 minutes on medium. Pour into greased and floured bundt pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn it out onto a cake circle or a serving plate. Let cake cool an additional 20 minutes before glazing.

Mix together remaining ingredients. Drizzle with graze using a fork or pouring from a spouted container.

0 comments: