Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pecan Day: Kahlùa Lace Sandwich Cookies

Today, March 25th, is Pecan Day. Therefore I decided to post one of my favorite recipes from years past using pecans. Since I am allergic to nuts, I have to be very careful when making these cookies, and I can only eat a couple before I start to have a problem. But these are so very worth the discomfort.

I found these in a Kahlùa ad in a magazine sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's. My friends LOVE these cookies.

Kahlùa Lace Sandwich Cookies
Yields 2 dozen

Oven Temp: 375

1/2 Cup butter
1/2 Cup coffee powder, instant
1/2 Cup corn syrup, light
1 Cup flour, all-purpose
2/3 Cups sugar, light brown, packed
1/2 Cup pecans ground
22 Teaspoons cocoa powder (unsweetened) divided
1 1/3 Cup sugar, powdered
4 Teaspoons water, hot
3 Tablespoons liqueur, Kahlúa

Grease cookie sheets, preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In saucepan, mix butter, corn syrup and brown sugar, bring to a boil. Remove from heat. In a bowl, mix together coffee powder, flour, pecans and 4 tsp of cocoa and stir into hot mixture. Mix well. Consistency will be a thick syrup.

Drop by level teaspoons onto cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake 5 to 6 minutes. Cool 2 minutes and remove with spatula onto cooling rack.

Meanwhile, mix powdered sugar, remaining cocoa and water until smooth. Stir in Kahlùa. Spread onto bottom of 1 cooled cookie and place another on top to make sandwiches.

0 comments: